Battery Lothringen, Noirmont Point, Saint Brelade
The tower, with its brooding cliff-top presence over the Island's sea approaches is, for many, one of the most potent symbols of the Occupation. The tower was, in fact, known as a 'Marine Peilstand' or 'Naval direction-finding tower', and is one of three constructed in Jersey, out of a planned total of nine.
Extending to a depth of 40ft. on two floors, this impressive bunker was the Command Post (Leitstand) for the naval coastal artillery battery 'Lothringen' located here. One of four built to a similar design in the Channel Islands, the bunker was surmounted by a range-finder and two periscopes to determine the distance and speed of sea targets.
Strongpoint Corbiere, La Corbière Point, St. Brelade
This is the only coastal defence bunker in the Saint Ouen's Bay area to retain its original gun, and is practically complete.
At the sharp end is the 1918 vintage 10.5cm K331(f) weapon, which is actually French in origin, having been captured by the Germans in 1940, and subsequently converted to fortress use in the Channel Islands.
The gun had a range of 10-12 km and was part of a network of similar weapons along the coast whose purpose was to prevent the formation of a beachhead, in the event of an Allied invasion.
This bunker is of great importance as it housed a rare type of fortress mortar. Owing to the complexity and cost involved, very few of these weapons were ever made, and the bunker is the only example of its type in Jersey.
The mortar was removed shortly after the Occupation, and its armoured cupola was cut up for scrap in the 1950s. However, the bunker has been restored to a very high standard, and the excellent displays and exhibits provide ample guidance to the workings of this unique installation.
Millbrook, Saint Lawrence
This bunker, which can be found on the sea wall adjacent to the cycle track and Old Station Café at Millbrook, Victoria Avenue, was something of a time capsule when reopened in 1985.
It has since been restored to pristine condition, and contains a rare 4.7cm Pak K36(t) Czech gun, along with a wealth of original fixtures and fittings, including a full set of air ventilation equipment.
Keep a look out for the soldiers' names above their clothes pegs, gas alarm instructions, and the original wiring and electrical fittings - which are still in use.
Val de la Mare, Saint Ouen
Situated on the junction of Le Mont Rossignol and Route du Moulin to the rear of the Les Golf & Country Club in St. Ouen's Bay; car parking and access to the bunker is in Route du Moulin, beside the prominent German railway bridge and Bethesda Methodist Chapel.
With steel cupolas up to 12 inches in thickness, these 'Sechsschartentürme' ('Six-loopholed turret') bunkers once proliferated along the Atlantic Wall. Now, thanks to the activities of the scrapmen, this is one of the few surviving examples.
The interested visitor may access the interior of the cupola, equipped with a deactivated MG 34 machine-gun, and peer through the optics to see a landscape that has changed little since it was viewed as a potential invasion point by the German garrison.
Battery Moltke, Les Landes, Saint Ouen
This is a restored section of the army battery 'Moltke' which once sprawled across the headland. On permanent exterior display is one of the original 15.5cm K418(f) French field guns from the battery, initially pushed over the nearby cliffs by the British Army in 1946, and retrieved in the 1990s.
In an adjacent emplacement are further examples of coastal artillery pieces used in the Island, and subsequently rescued from the same watery grave.
Below ground, there is an extensive complex of passage-linked personnel and ammunition bunkers.